Saturday, August 13, 2011

Where to Find Coupons?

      I know when I first started out I was wondering where to find all the best coupon.  The best and most known is of course the Sunday paper.  Most Sunday papers are full of coupons!  Each week it varies as to what coupons come out.  But before you go out and sign up for 20 Sunday paper subscriptions I do have to say do your research first.  Depending on your area there may be several different companies producing papers.  So go to your local store and flip through them.  Your local newspaper as opposed to a national paper is usually always cheaper.  Sometimes by as much as $1.50.  If you pick up several papers each week, as I suggest you do, then that can really add up and cut into your grocery budget.  So take a closer look.  Some local papers will have exact same inserts(the booklets with all the coupons) as the national at almost half the price.  If that is the case then I suggest picking up the local.  Sometimes the national paper has higher value coupons.  If the values are enough to make up for the higher price then you may want to get that one instead.  I also advise checking the prices of your subscriptions before you sign up.  I have heard of many people signing up for a subscription and then realizing when the bill comes that it actually would have been cheaper to pick it up at the store.  But if you live out in the middle of no where and it would cost more in gas than the difference for a subscription then that may be the better option.  I do want to point out that on Holiday weeks there are no inserts in the papers.  So if you normally get 3 papers every Sunday you may want to skip spending that much.  I always buy 1 those weeks.  It will still have all the ads for that week to direct you to the best sales.  You can find this information online but I prefer having a physical copy.  I'm that way about everything.  So just make sure you compare prices before you buy.
      Another great place to find coupons is online.  Coupons.com is a great place to find coupons.  There are so many that are put up there all the time.  Another great source is redplum.com.  There won't be anywhere near as many printable coupons here but usually you can find some very high value ones.  You can also find some coupons at smartsource.com.  These are not the only places to find coupons.  If you go to any companies website that make the products you are sure to find printable coupons there  For example www.pillsbury.com has a section for coupons.  Typically they will put out some high value coupons and even send you free samples.  Facebook.com is another great place for coupons.  I have found some very high value coupons there.  If a coupon does come from Facebook then you always want to be quick and snatch it up.  Usually there are limits on the coupons and with them being high value everyone will also be trying to get them.  Not all coupons on here are printables.  A lot of times the best coupons are sent in the mail from here.  When you do print coupons online make sure you use the back button then the refresh button after it is done to print it again.  You can have 2 prints per computer.  So since I have a desktop and both my husband and I have laptops that means I can print 6 of the SAME coupon. 
      Another place to find coupons is on the product shelves and the products themselves.  The coupons found on products are called peelies.  A lot of times I suggest grabbing a few of the ones on the shelves and wait for a sale.  Don't take all of them.  We want everyone to save money.  Often they are put out when there is no sale but a few weeks after there is a great sale. 
      Catalinas are also another type of coupon.  These are what print out at the register to use on your next transaction.  For example if you buy 6 toothbrushes then there might be a special catalina out that will give you $4 off your next transaction.  If I know I'm getting one off these I like to break up my transaction to maximize my savings.  I will run those through in a transaction all by itself then ring up the rest of my groceries and apply the $4 off coupon to bring my total down.
      There are also ecoupons.  Ecoupons are coupons that you load online to your store loyalty card and run it through at the register.  Often times these are found on the stores website.  I do recommend checking your stores coupon policy before going crazy and loading everything on it.  Some stores don't let you use paper manufacturer coupons with ecoupons.  So if you loaded your card and forgot it was there and go and try to use another better coupon it won't work.  But there are other stores that let you use both. 
      Some stores have store coupons.  These are coupons that can only be used at specific stores.  These can be used with manufacturer coupons for even more savings.  Some stores you go onto their website to print them off and other stores have a mailing list.  Sometimes they are in their weekly adds or in the store either with the adds or by the register.  CVS for example has a coupon machine that you go into and scan your store loyalty card and your store coupons print out. 
      There are many ways to find coupons.  If you take a look around you can find them anywhere.  Next time you go to the grocery store keep your eyes peeled.  Or when your browsing the web look around your favorite sites and I'm sure you will spot them.  They are so easy to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment